The Studio Plunder...A History, Part Two


I was always taught that if you want to be a good painter, you need to be good at drawing. Sadly, drawing has always been one of my biggest weaknesses. I really have to concentrate and struggle with my drawing skills. Some days are better than others but most are difficult.

The following works are from 1990 - 1992. Many of my favorite works have been created in graphite. (pencil) The Dixon Ticonderoga's are a good choice. They come in a wide range, from soft to hard. I prefer the No 3. I don't know why.

In my sketches, I try to maintain a minimalist quality. Less is more. I like to have the mind fill in the blanks. Our brains know what's supposed to be there. Given just enough information we will see the whole, even if the whole is not there. Ya know what I mean?






The top three are worked studies. Meaning, not the first set of drawings but not yet complete. Done some what quickly for me. They still need some work to be finished.

The next three are what I considered a finished sketch. It took any where from three to ten or more drawings of the same image to get to this point. I was pleased with the out come and I'm not sure I would part with these.




These last two were part of my final for a life drawing class. It was a bout the time I had discovered pastels. I was instantly in love. Pastels are a fabulous medium. I prefer the pure pigment but they can be expensive. The cheaper brands have more additives in them and don't cover as well. My only problem is that I happen to be allergic to the dust they create. It kills me but I refuse to give up the chalk.

If cared for they will last as long as an oil and hold up just as well color wise. They are quite fragile though. Fixatives can be used to hold the pastel to the paper but it changes the color and mood of the works. The do work well though. I'm torn as to use a fixative or not. I guess it depends on the work. If I really like it, it wont get fixed. These two were never sprayed. They look just like they did 19 years ago.

It was these two works that pushed me into wanting to be a real artists. They are not my best work but I have fond memories of working on them as well as a couple of class mates. We worked on each others pieces, gave input and ridicule when ever necessary. I miss that interaction. I haven't had anything like since school. I won't part with either of these.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree about "less is more". The pencil sketches are delicious!
I used to do heaps of drawing at school but can't remember the last time I picked up a pencil - maybe you'll inspire me ;o)

Life On The Line...

Chapter one I jumped into cooking on a bit of a whim. With little to no hesitation. After spending many years in the art business I was lo...