Being a parent............

When I was pre-child I used to wonder about parents and the things they would let there children do in public. My wife, Precious, and I would sit and whisper to one another "if we had a child they would never do that"....."why would they bring their child out in public if .........." blah, blah, blah,
Precious and I now have a 2 year old boy, Mr Man.

For all of you who have ever had or currently have children. I am sooooo sorry! Children are not something that anyone can explain to someone who doesn't. There is NO WAY anyone could convey what it takes to be a parent.

To all of you who are now like we were. I warn you now, never talk trash about other parents until you have been in their vomit covered clothes in the middle of a crowded restaurant.

Which is what brings me to this installment:
Tonight, Precious, Mr Man and I went to have a quick meal after a long day. Everything was wonderful through salads, polite conversation about the day and some people watching. Just as our meals arrived at the table Precious asks Mr Man if he is feeling alright. As he is sitting next to me I turn just in time to see his face go pale and projectile vomit all over the table, my leg, down his front..... I slid his high chair back as quickly as I could. Precious was now up from across the table to assist me. We are wiping things up and have just asked for more napkins, a towel, a bucket, what ever they have when we are hit with wave number two. Up it comes again. It was right out of Monty Python.

Precious has a thing for grossness anyway, but both of us handled it rather calmly and quickly. Mr Man was totally calm through the whole ordeal. I wrapped him in his blanket (he never goes any where with out it) and carried him through the restaurant out to the car. I always have a change of clothes for him. After tonight I will have a change for all of us.
I could see the looks as we walked out. It was clear who the parents were and who were not. I laughed to myself thinking about what my life has become.

By the time I had him cleaned up and changed we were laughing and having a good time again. All was right with the world.
And all in all........It was a pretty good day. Try to explain that to a non parent.

No comments:

Life On The Line...

Chapter one I jumped into cooking on a bit of a whim. With little to no hesitation. After spending many years in the art business I was lo...