Stick To The Script...You Hollywood Hacks!

It's 2:20 am. I have a fond memory of sleep. Pretty sure I enjoyed it. Two. More. Days.

So, anywho...I have a gripe. TV shows that get me hooked with decent casting, believable characters, a good story and intelligent writing. Then for some dumbass reason they do something that should never happen.

Have they changed every writer on the show? Have none of them ever watched the show they write for? Are they all on drugs?

Highlander the series. I really like that program and watched it faithfully for six and half years. Then out of the blue they have Duncan kill Richie. Sure they blamed it on some ancient spiritual curse. Bull pucky!

Mad About You. For years I watched that show. It was perfect. Right up until the final episode. They Fugged that up beyond my belief. They went so far off course it wasn't even believable. It just didn't fit with anything they had done up to that point.

I could go on and on. There is list of programs that I truly enjoyed at one point. Then they pissed me off. Maybe I take it a little too seriously. I don't think so, but maybe.

These shows are part of our culture. For better or worse. It's a big part of who we are. The writers of these and all programs owe it to us, the viewing public, to stay consistent to the characters they got us hooked on. Throwing in some plot twist or making a character go against everything they were written to be, is utter crap.

I'm sure it's a ratings thing but it upsets me to the point that I will never watch those shows again. Not ever. Any of them. I wont watch the earlier episodes I enjoyed. I wont watch re-runs. I don't want to hear anything about those shows again. They ruined them for me forever. They're dead to me and it's just not right.

Duncan would have never killed his student and best friend. The whole curse thing was stupid.

Paul and Jamie would have never split up. Especially after having a kid.

Do you know how I know these things for such certainty? BECAUSE IT'S TV! These shows weren't meant to have real life problems and issues. They were make believe. They were great shows that provided a wonderful dose of escape from those same realities they decided to throw into them. The very thing that will keep me from ever watching them again.

I now return to your normally scheduled program...

5 comments:

Dave2 said...

I agree on both counts. And there are so many other shows that have gone wonky out of the blue as well... Alias and Dark Angel come immediately to mind.

Mad William said...

dave2,
I had not thought about Dark Angel, nut Alias was on my list. WTH were trying to do with that show?

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Highlander the TV series and now I'm very glad! I'm a huge fan of the original movie and would hate for anything to spoil that!

Sheree Rensel said...

William,
Have you ever heard the expression "Jumping the Shark"? You should because that is what you are describing.
From Wikipedia:
"Jumping the shark is a colloquialism used by U.S. TV critics and fans to denote the point in a TV series at which the characters or plot veer into a ridiculous, out-of-the-ordinary storyline. Shows that have "jumped the shark" are typically deemed to have passed their peak, since they have undergone too many changes to retain their original appeal, and after this point critical fans often sense a noticeable decline in the show's quality."

"Jumping the shark" (which was named for the Happy Days episode in which Fonzi puts on waterskis and jumps a shark (AAAHHHhhhhh, yeah right) makes so much sense to me because almost all TV shows go through this eventually. Remember when ROSANNE won the lottery? Well, that was a shark jumper!! LOL LOL
I am going through this JTS feeling with a few of my shows now. Project Runway, Workout, and Top Chef are starting to get a little too weirded out. It is sad. I liked them when they were fresh and believable.
Tootles!
Sheree

delmer said...

The "Mad About You" finale was a big disappointment to me as well.

That never would have happened.

Alias was such a good show when it started -- it must have set some sort of network TV record for going straight to the dumpster.

Life On The Line...

Chapter one I jumped into cooking on a bit of a whim. With little to no hesitation. After spending many years in the art business I was lo...