August 31 Update to this post:
The part about killing those who kill, I take that back. It was the heat of the moment. I am not in favor of killing in any fashion, even for punishment. Death lets them off too easy. The should have to suffer and live with it.
I stand by everything else.
Today was going to be the things "Not To Do" when looking at and or buying art. However, there are just some days when the world just drives me MAD something fierce.
My problem today is with democracy.
When everyone gets a say, nothing gets done. Why? Because you can not please everyone.
It is not possible.
There are too many bleeding hearts, as well as too many fanatics, and the people in between just sit with their heads up their butts and do nothing.
Ok, you're asking, "MW, what brought this on?"
I'm glad you asked.
I was reading a story(msnbc.com) about the rise in violent crime across the country (not to mention the world)and what can be done about it.
Everyone has some sort of wussy plan to put more police on the streets and for communities to get involved. Blah, blah, blah,
All of this is coming from a bunch of people who have never had first hand knowledge of the US justice system.
I am here to tell you all that our system is SERIOUSLY flawed.
This is how you slow the spread of crime. Partial list.
1) Stop listening to anyone who says convicted criminals have rights. They don't! From the second they are convicted they give up all rights that are afforded to civilized society.
2) Make punishment an actual punishment as well as a deterrent to crime, not the play group for malcontents that jails and prisons are today.
I hate to break it to you, but criminals get three square meals a day, cable TV, movies, libraries, medical, dental and vision check ups as well as free prescription drugs, work out rooms, recreation time, regular visiting hours, phone privileges, jobs that pay, weekend passes out of confinement and early release for 'good behaviour'.
Does that sound like punishment? Not to me! Keep in mind that 80% or more of people incarcerated are coming from no education, no jobs, drug use, living on the streets or in slums. Prison is a better life than they had before. What are they going to learn? Crime pays!
You make prisoners spend 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, turning big rocks into little rocks with a hammer, no TV, no special privileges, hard physical manual labour.
Trust me, that will be a deterrent to crime. Criminals are lazy. They would rather try to fit into society than have to work their asses off.
3) You want crime rates to go down, put much more money into public education and make it mandatory to the age of 21. No dropping out, no quiting, no flunking out. You do the work, you learn things, you contribute to society. No ifs ands or buts about it.
4) Punishment needs to be "Eye for an eye". There is no such thing as cruel and unusual punishment. The more cruel and more unusual, the better it will work!
You take a life, you lose yours.
You rape or molest(this is almost always men) you lose your balls.
Every time you steal, you lose a finger.
You drink and drive, you never drive again.
No warnings, no second chances, no three strikes, no early release.
We are too F***ing soft and the criminals know it!
5) Hold parents responsible for the actions of their children. Too many kids have no adult supervision and run amok which leads to drop outs, criminal activities, drug use, and God knows what else. Start holding parents accountable and that will change.
I have said it before and I will continue to say it, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
We have tried it their way, and it doesn't work. It is time to try something new.