Worth The Drive...

Last night, as many of you know, was Tequilacon 2007. I was hesitant to go. Precious couldn't go with. I am much better with her than without. She encouraged me to go, since I go on and on about blogging and talk about you all as if I knew you already.

So, I made the 2 hour drive to Portland. Rained the entire way. I stood outside of the Kennedy School for about 20 minutes, trying to decide if I was going in or turning around and going home. I called Precious to tell her I had arrived safely and again she told me to go in and make nice. So I did.

I must admit, I felt way out of my element. I apparently have forgotten how to meet new people and to socialize on my own. I really wanted a good strong drink but I was going to be driving back to the coast and a DUI or crash was not on my to-do list. Water is not a good relaxant.

I recognized a couple of people from their blogs, and tried to remember to introduce myself to everyone. No one was what I had expected. Well almost. A couple of you were close to the you I had imagined. Some of you I am sure sent an actor in your place. In fairness, I heard the same thing about me from many of you. I was not what you expected either.

It was odd to put an actual person with the sites I have been reading for the last year or more. They are a very nice group. I found it somewhat odd that people would come so far for this. It is a curious community.

I did get to meet most of you and had time to chat with several of you as well. Leaving early like I did, I am sure I missed much of the frivolity. All said and done, I am glad I made the drive. I had a great time. Met some wonderful people. Got tattooed. Thanks to all of you.

Several of you asked if I would do an artistic interpretation of the event or portraits of attendees. Yes, I would be happy to give it a shot. Anyone interested in paintings, drawing or what not, email me photos and let me know what you have in mind.

Actually I would love it if you would all email me the photos anyway. madwilliam@mac.com

Cheers!

12 comments:

A Lewis said...

Like you, I was most hesitant to join in....and, for me, that's unusual. I am usually a go-getter. I'll never forget us in the dark closet making drinks without ice. And you in the chair, sipping, being nervous like me. A good evening, but not quite what I'd expected. Cheers and happy days. Nice to meet you.

Dave2 said...

Wow... are we ever glad you decided to come inside instead of turning around and going home! You're not the first person I heard this from, so I'm hoping more people read your experience and decide to go for it when a blogger event reaches their neck of the woods. I have never, ever been disappointed with any of the ones I've attended, and try to get to as many as I'm able.

Anyway, it was really good to meet you, and I hope you won't be a stranger the next time there is a meet-up in the Great Pacific Northwest!

As for a painting... I think it should be painter's choice! But if you are looking for inspiration, there's going to be a Flickr Group popping up once everybody makes it back home.

orange said...

it was nice to meet you. I have to say I can get fairly shy myself on occasion but I'm glad you made the trek over and stopped in to say hello. I'm gonna post some photos of the event soon and will send you some others.

cheers!

Sizzle said...

i'm glad you stuck around. it gave me the opportunity to accost you in the hallway and shake your hand. :)

Jessica said...

William - it was GREAT meeting you and I'm sorry that we did not have the occasion to chat more before you had to leave. Oh well, there is always TequliaCon 2008!

Postmodern Sass said...

I'm sorry I didn't really get to meet you in between all that booze and the PB&J sandwiches. Maybe next year!

eclectic said...

Thanks for making the drive and the effort. It was great fun! I'll send photos when I get a moment, maybe this afternoon.

Karl said...

Well, you're one of the folks I wish I'd talked with a lot more. I think we met briefly but that was about it. Bah.

I know what you mean about kinda freaking about going in to meet all those people, though. I was certainly feeling the anxiety. Glad I went, though. It was a blast.

Anonymous said...

i'm sooo glad you decided not to turn around - i would've been so bummed! it was really great to meet you and share a drink or two.

and as dave mentioned, the flickr group already has over 200 photos in it... and i think half of us haven't even posted our photos yet - yikes! :)

hope to see you at the next one!

Anonymous said...

So great meeting you! Sadly, and believe it or not, I'm more an I than an E on that myers-briggsy thing, so forgive me for not being a better chatter, more engaging. I wanted to be. And in a weird way, I feel that I talked to no one. I do look forward to getting to know you via your blog, however. I'll just say that I'm intrigued.

Brandon said...

hey, thanks for taking a chance on us and stopping by.

and you're right about the water not having the social lubricating powers of tequila. if i were a better planner, i would have known you were that far away and offered you the cot in my room. but i'm awfully glad you came, nevertheless.

Mad William said...

Thanks to all of you. You made me feel at ease. I'm looking forward to Tequilacon 08. As well as lurking around your sites until then.

Life On The Line...

Chapter one I jumped into cooking on a bit of a whim. With little to no hesitation. After spending many years in the art business I was lo...